How To Turn Your City Blue
We suggest you allow at least six months to plan a large public event. We also recommend that you hold one large event rather than a few smaller events in a short period of time. This has been proven more successful in the past.
Choose from one of the suggested fundraisers below or come up with your own idea. Form a committee of at least three people to plan this specific event.
Hold a dress-down day at the office.
- Talk to human resources about having a denim day one day where employees are allowed to dress casually at work if they wear blue and donate $5-10 to the Colon Cancer Alliance.
- Be sure to distribute information about colon cancer and screening to each employee.
Plan a profit share night at a local restaurant or bar. You’re likely to get the best response somewhere where you know an employee or go often.
- Visit or call and ask to speak with the manager or owner about holding a fundraiser for charity there. Here are some suggestions for what to ask for:
- 15% of a night’s profits
- 15% of drink sales for a weekend
- Offer blue drink specials with 100% of proceeds going to the CCA
- Host a fundraiser where you can sell raffle tickets
- 100% of cover charge for a night
Put together a blue costume contest at work to see who can be the most creative! You may charge a $10 fee to enter the contest or collect donations as votes ($5 = 1 vote for example). Contestants must wear blue to be eligible.
Hold a yard sale and donate all the profits to the Colon Cancer Alliance. Be sure to give an informational leaflet to each customer!
Organize a coffee fast. For every day someone goes without coffee, ask them to donate the money they would have spent on the purchase ($3-5). If you do this at work, create a chart showing everyone’s progress to spark a bit of competition and a sign advertising the fast to go at each participant’s desk. Encourage everyone to go 1-2 weeks.
Some of the most successful events we’ve seen are:
- Golf tournament
- Silent auction
- Snowmobile tour… get creative!
Collecting Raffle Prizes/Auction Items
- Gift cards are a great prize. Visit a local restaurant, movie theater, salon or masseuse, shop, etc. and ask if they would be willing to donate a gift card or certificate for services.
- In exchange, you can promote them at your event and each raffle ticket purchaser will see their name. If you create a flyer, you can put their logo on the flyer.