Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before Surgery
- What kind of operation do you recommend for me?
- Am I a candidate for minimally invasive or laparoscopic surgery? Do you perform this type of surgery? What percentage of the surgeries you perform are done laparoscopically?
- If you do not perform minimally invasive or laparoscopic surgery, can you recommend someone who does?
- Do I need any lymph nodes removed? Will other tissues be removed? Why?
- What are the risks of surgery? Will I have any lasting side effects?
- Will I need a colostomy? If so, will the stoma be permanent?
- How will I feel after the operation?
- If I have pain, how will it be controlled?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- When can I get back to my normal activities?